5 essentials for your home bar
Image by ©Brett Stevens Photographer.
Your home cocktail bar check list
Your home cocktail bar should include a few important staples to see you through the summer. Blake Head, David Jones’ beverage specialist at Food Services, shares his must-haves.
Blake Head, David Jones’ beverage specialist. Image by ©Brett Stevens Photographer.
G O O D Q U A L I T Y
B A R E Q U I P M E N T
The essentials are:
- big silicon ice cube and sphere moulds
- citrus press
- mixing glass
- bar spoon
GEORG JENSEN | Manhattan Cocktail Shaker
JOSEPH JOSEPH | Helix Citrus Press
VIN BOUQUET | Silicone Giant Ice Tray
T H E S E V E N K E Y S P I R I T S
The seven key spirits plus a couple of aperitifs and liqueurs. Try:
- Archie Rose vodka
- Four Pillars rare dry gin
- Calle 23 Blanco tequila
- Havana three-year-old white rum
- Buffalo trace bourbon
- Chivas Regal whisky
- Rémy Martin VSOP Cognac
To start with, the only liqueur you need is Cointreau, but you can add crème de cassis if you like berry flavours, Pomme Verte if you like apple or Pernod if you prefer intense aniseed. Campari and Angostura bitters are essential.
Remember that no more than five ingredients is the key to a great-tasting and balanced drink.
CHIVAS REGAL | 18 Year Old Scotch Whisky
FORTY SPOTTED | Forty Spotted Rare
DAVID JONES LIQUOR | Seedlip Spice 94
C O C K T A I L B O O K S
Get a couple of good ones, such as:
- The PDT Cocktail Book by Jim Meehan*
- The Craft of the Cocktail by Dale DeGroff*
- A Spot at the Bar by Michael Madrusan and Zara Young
These have hundreds of great recipes from classics through to signature drinks, as well as all the essential tips and tricks for making great drinks.
HARDIE GRANT | A Spot at The Bar
HARDIE GRANT | Australian Spirits Guide
MURDOCH BOOKS | The Modern Cocktail
V E R M O U T H
You’ll need a couple to create a number of classics:
- a rosso/sweet vermouth such as Punt e Mes or Antica Formula
- a great dry vermouth such as Dolin Dry from France or one of the fantastic local ones like Regal Rogue or Maidenii.
Make a start to your collection with the following by Regal Rogue:
REGAL ROGUE VERMOUTH | Wild Rose
REGAL ROGUE VERMOUTH | Daring Dry
REGAL ROGUE VERMOUTH | Lively White
V I N T A G E – S T Y L E
G L A S S W A R E
You can pick up beautiful vintage, Art Deco-style glassware from David Jones. Nachtmann and Spiegelau are among the best and will make your home cocktails look beautiful. Choose:
- a classic coupette for martini-style or champagne cocktails such as the gin martini, daiquiri or French 75
- highball glasses for long drinks such as Tom Collins, mojitos and G&Ts
- double old-fashioned for whisky or cocktails on the rocks such as the negroni, old fashioned, sazerac, caipirinha or Tommy’s Margarita.
SPIEGELAU | Perfect Serve Coupette Pack of Four
NACHTMANN | Aspen Whisky 3-Piece Set
NACHTMANN | Noblesse S.O.F. Tumbler Bx4