C h e r r y t r i f l es
Prep time 20 mins. Cooking time 10 mins (plus cooling, setting).
The plumpest of cherries are the hero ingredient of our festive cherry trifle, both in the wobbly cherry jelly beneath and the crowning glory on top. Brandy-spiked creme fraiche and crumbled Christmas cake make for luscious layers - and they're served in individual glasses, so there's no need to share! You'll find everything you need in store.
- 500 gm crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp brandy, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- David Jones Food Uniced Christmas Cake (1.5kg)
- 200 gm pitted cherries, halved, plus extra whole cherries to serve
For cherry jelly
- 1 kg cherries, pitted
- 440 gm (2 cups) caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 5 titanium strength gelatine leaves, softened in cold water for 5 minutes
- To make the cherry jelly, stir cherries, sugar, lemon juice and 600ml water in a saucepan over medium-high heat to dissolve sugar and simmer until cherries begin to collapse (8-10 minutes).
- Strain through a fine sieve, then return half the mixture to the pan.
- Squeeze excess water from gelatine, add to pan and stir over medium heat until dissolved.
- Remove from heat, add remaining cherry liquid and stir to combine.
- Cool to room temperature, then divide among small serving glasses and refrigerate to set (4-5 hours).
- Whisk crème fraiche, icing sugar, vanilla and brandy in a bowl to soft peaks.
- Crumble a little of the David Jones Food Uniced Christmas Cake into small pieces (you won’t need all the cake) and scatter a layer over the jelly in each glass.
- Scatter over a layer of cherries and drizzle with a little brandy.
- Top with crème fraiche mixture, cover and refrigerate overnight for flavours to develop and serve topped with extra cherries.
Explore David Jones Food online now