Lisa Hamilton of See Want Shop
was one of David Jones' guests at the Crown Golden Ale Caulfield Cup last weekend. Here, she talks about five of the most noticeable trends she spotted under the David Jones marquee!
Melbourne Racing Club's Caulfield Cup is one of my favourite racing days of the year with its easy going, casual vibe trackside. Fashion-wise, the feelings are no different - outfits are more relaxed, headwear is more modest and strict dress codes are softened (say hello ladies to midriffs & jumpsuits). This year I was lucky enough to scope out the delicious fashion delicacies being served in the stunning David Jones marquee and there certainly was plenty to see.
1. The neutral trend is here to stay this racing season as I spied plenty of monochromatic beauties on show. White being the most popular tonal shade of the day, even the boys dabbled in this movement. However, if you were going for colour the clear choice was to go bright and bold, with scarlet reds being a popular choice.
2. Design wise, lace seemed to be a crowd favourite and it came in all sorts of structures, from pantsuits to cropped blouses to figure hugging dresses. Always such an elegant choice.
3. In the heels department, the fillies were clearly a fan of the simple strappy stiletto which can be teamed back with almost any outfit. Second in line was the on-trend mule, especially those with the sensible option of a thick heel and I have no doubt this will continue to be an absolute race-goer's favourite this spring.
4. The headwear department was very relaxed and it was great to see some gorgeous minimal pieces adorning beautifully pampered hair do's. Most notably (and my own personal favourite), the crown is back again this year and is always a majestic choice. Whether it be made from eye-catching metallic hardware or soft blooming flora, it was clearly a popular headpiece trackside.
5. Accessories were also kept minimal by racegoers this year, although let’s not ignore the power of a statement designer bag. They are always a showstopper and there were plenty of envious fillies eyeing these off. All of this topped off with perfectly manicured hands and natural beauty looks everywhere I turned.
All in all a fantastic and fashionable day with David Jones. I certainly cannot wait to check out out the spring racing fashion stakes as we get closer towards the Melbourne Cup Carnival!