What’s hot in hair and beauty for the season ahead?
If you want to seriously transform your style this season, it’s important to cover all your bases. That includes what’s hanging in your closet, as well as how you’re doing your make-up and styling your tresses. As we inch closer to cooler temperatures and warmer layers, it’s the perfect time to experiment with the latest in all things beauty. That’s why we love Collections Launch. Not only do we get to experience the hottest autumn winter trends, we’re also treated to a taste of the hair and make-up looks that’ll be trending for the season.
Keep reading for some serious hair and make-up inspiration for your AW18…
How to | Collections Launch Make-up
“The look is feminine and fresh with a drop of glamour.
They are effortless fierce women of the world.”
- AW18 Collections Launch Make-up Direction Victoria Baron
This autumn winter it’s all about the worn, dark and dramatic eye. To learn more about one of the season’s hottest beauty trends, we spoke to our AW18 Collections Launch Make-up Director Victoria Baron about the inspiration behind the look she created for the runway.
JONES: What inspired the Collections Launch beauty look?
VICTORIA BARON: The beauty look for the David Jones 2018 Autumn Winter Collection launch is all about a worn, dark dramatic eye. It is inspired by the urban concrete setting of the new [Collections Launch] show space, and the powerful silhouettes of the fashion. I wanted to give the models a strength and attitude with a pop of metallic on the eye. The look is feminine and fresh with a drop of glamour; they are effortless fierce women of the world.
J: Are there any tips for preparing the skin before doing your makeup?
VB: Skincare and ongoing skin health (inside and out) is one of the most important steps to creating a flawless makeup look. Cleansed clean skin is essential, but spending time massaging with a suitable hydrating product is key. This process allows absorption and promotes blood flow, drains stagnant fluid, clears the eyes and de-puffs the face. Weekly treatments and skin boosters like the Equal Beauty Moisture Veil masks are a great way to ensure radiant skin.
HOW TO GET THE LOOK
- First, brush brows upwards.
- Next, create shape and fill any gaps with Bobbi Brown Brow Kit. Set Brows into place with Estee Lauder Clear Volumising Gel.
- Firstly, curl lashes with Shu Uemura Lash Curlers.
- Next, line the inner rim of your eyes, top and bottom, with Yves Saint Laurent’s Kohl Pencil.
- Use Bobbi Brown's Long-Wear Gel Eyeliner in Black Ink over the top of your lids and blend into the socket line.
- Use the grey shadow of Yves Saint Laurent’s palette ‘4 Underground’* along the lid, blending out to the edges of the eye and into the socket in a straight outward shape. Next, define the outer corner of the socket line with a black shadow, before blending a soft line of the grey shadow under the eye and blending to join the top butter edge.
- With a slightly damp brush tap MAC’s Copper Sparkle Pigment onto the center of the eyelids, above the pupils – for this step, be extra careful of fallout particles.
- Next, apply a generous coat of Bobbi Brown’s Eye Opening Mascara on the top lashes only, from the roots to tips.
- Lastly, set and freshen the entire face with MAC Fix+ Spray.
- On clean hydrated lips apply a soft, subtle layer of Shu Umera’s Lacque Supreme in Urban Beige.
- On filed, neat nails apply a base coat to create the canvas.
- Next, apply OPI’s Infinite Shine Nail Colour in ‘Bubble Bath’. Finish and seal with a top coat to longer lasting colour.
* Yves Saint Laurent’s palette ‘4 Underground’ is available instore at David Jones.
How to | Collections Launch Hair by Aveda
“The hair embraces a feminine and beautiful women,
but who still has an edgy and bold side to her”
- Terri Robertson-Kirkwood
This year, Aveda’s Creative Director for David Jones Terri Robertson-Kirkwood lead the Aveda National Style Team to create the hair look for our greatly anticipated AW18 Collections Launch. This season’s runway look reflects our Autumn Winter campaign ‘Take the Leap’, by embracing a strong, elegant beauty that is still willing to push the boundaries.
“We wanted to create a hair look that complimented the bold trends that are showcased on the David Jones runway as well as what we have seen on the couture runways,” says Terri Robertson-Kirkwood.
“The hair embraces a feminine and beautiful women, but who still has an edgy and bold side to her. We have been seeing a movement away from controlled and contrived hair for a few seasons now, the hair is now more relaxed, healthy and touchable”.
Here, Terri Robertson-Kirkwood takes us through a step-by-step guide to achieving the Autumn Winter look, so you can be runway ready for any occasion.
- Prep the hair with Aveda Invati Advanced Revitalizer, spraying at the root and then brushing through with the Aveda Paddle Brush to create the foundation of volume and thicker hair.
- Spritz all of the hair, apart from the hairline, with Aveda Thickening Tonic and lightly blow-dry into the hair using fingers to create root lift, while still maintaining the natural texture of the hair.
- Use a coin-size amount of Aveda Smooth Infusion Nourishing Styling Crème around the hairline, to limit flyaways.
- Create a centralised part and spritz hair with Aveda Texture Tonic. Collect the hair loosely and pull into a low ponytail at the nape of your head, while leaving the hair at the hairline out and covering the ears. Secure ponytail with a hair elastic.
- Wrap hair around the elastic and secure with bobby pin. Then tie a second hair elastic towards the end of the ponytail. Tease the hair between the two elastics, before placing the ribbon onto the ponytail and secure.
- Spritz the hair and remaining ponytail (not covered by the ribbon) liberally with Aveda Texture Tonic while using fingers to loosen the ponytail.
- To finish, tuck any hair sitting over the ears behind the ears so that the volume is away from the face. Then spritz the hair with Aveda Air Control for long lasting hold.
Visit an Aveda Salon at your nearest David Jones store
Want to get the look?
Shop runway beauty online now