Beauty blogger Stephanie Darling shows you how to re-create two stunning makeup looks from this year's Emmy Awards.
Formal season is once again upon us! Take your big night by storm by interpreting our favourite red-carpet-ready looks, from the 2014 Emmys, as your very own. Modern Family scooped the pool for best comedy and we loved Sofia Vergara’s (the luscious Gloria Delgado Prichett) and Sarah Hyland’s (the ever-cute Hayley Dunfey) superstar looks.
GET THE LOOK: SOFIA VERGARA
Beauty rule number one: always to play up a single feature and Sofia perfects this with her knock-out lips. This is a precision game, as all the other features on your face need to be perfectly done, but vibrant red lips are the standout.
1. Back to basics: on a cleansed and moisturised skin, start with a luminous foundation. Try Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation and apply with a dedicated foundation brush remembering to blend well, starting at the centre of your face and working outwards.
2. Brows are a frame for the face, so getting them professionally shaped is essential before the big night out. On the night itself, apply a brow powder sparingly using a brush with short strokes to mimic the brow hair. We love Bobbi Brown Angle Eye Shadow Brush.
3. Keep the eyes simple by choosing a neutral brown eye shadow. Try Napoleon Perdis Prismatic Eye Shadow Quad in Quad 13. This has every perfect nude and brown shade you had ever dreamed of, seriously.
4. To add a dose glamour, some strategically placed false lashes at the outer corner of your eyes, will really open them up. Finish the look with two coats of mascara. Try Shu Uemura Tokyo Lash Mascara and False Lashes Flare Slim.
5. The finishing touch is lips, and prep is key. For longevity a matching lipstick and lip liner are essential. Fill in the entire lip with the pencil and then apply the lipstick with a brush, blot and then reapply. We love Napoleon Perdis Mattestic Lipstick in Veronica.
GET THE LOOK: SARAH HYLAND
Sarah has beautiful doll-like features and again the rule of thumb is to play up one feature; this time it’s the eyes. This look is a revamp of an old favourite, the smoky eye, but this time the tones are a modern bronze.
1. Again the base is key as if the palette isn’t polished it will let the whole look down. To keep the base in place, apply a translucent setting powder like Shu Uemura Face Architect Loose Powder
2. This pitch perfect bronze eye has just a hint of shimmer to give the eyes a boost. Always use an eyeshadow brush to apply the colour and build it slowly also working the colour under the eye. Try Laura Mercier Caviar Stick Eye Colour in Amethyst
3. Curl your lashes with an eyelash curler and then apply two coats of mascara on top and bottom lashes. Try Bobbi Brown Extreme Lengthening Lash Glamour Mascara
4. With eyes this bold the lips take second place, but only just, with a cool nude lip. Same principle applies, matching nude lip liner and lipstick. Try Bobbi Brown Lip Colour in Beige
Take the guesswork out of your upcoming formal with a makeup in store at your favourite counter. This will have you looking flawless and fabulous and set you up with some essential makeup tips to keep you ahead of the pack.
Bobbi Brown - 45 minutes, $75 redeemable with purchase
Laura Mercier- 45 minutes, $60 redeemable with purchase
Napoleon Perdis - 45 minutes, $89 redeemable with purchase
Shu Uemura - 45 minutes, $75 redeemable with purchase, excluding lashes
MAC - 60 minutes, $90 redeemable with purchase