THE PARTY SEASON PEDICURE, by Stephanie Darling
Artfully groomed and painted toenails are an essential accessory for the summer party season. To get toes ready for the reveal, start by ensuring they are well trimmed. Trade tip: The best time to trim toenails is when they are wet as they are more pliable. Trim them straight across and then file the tips and edges, gently rounding off the corners. Try Tweezerman Geometrice Print Filemate.
Buff detail: Buff the surface of the nail, but not too vigorously, to remove imperfections and smooth out ridges. This creates a polish friendly surface.
Well oiled: Apply a cuticle oil, like L’Occitane Shea Nail & Cuticle Nourishing Oil to the cuticles and any dry spots on your feet and allow it to soak in for a few minutes. Then carefully push the cuticles back with an orange stick or cuticle pusher. Next use a pedi paddle to smooth out rough heels and then rinse feet and dry thoroughly. Then reapply oil and massage well into the cuticle. Take a dedicated foot cream, we love Burt’s Bees Peppermint Foot Lotion, the soothing peppermint relaxes feet and calves. This will give your feet an instant boost.
The canvas: Use a good nail polish remover like David Jones Nail Enamel Remover to get rid of any excess product on nails, so you have a pristine starting point. Now apply a base coat like Nails Inc. Base Coat and then two shades of your favourite summer colour. Allow nails to dry for 10 minutes before applying the topcoat, try Dior Top Coat Gel. Remember, toenails take much longer to dry than fingernails so leave them in the open air for as long as possible.
Tool kit: For an instant pop of fresh summer colour here are our top five contenders:
1) For a dash of colour therapy try O.P.I Nail Lacquer Minis – Gwen Stefani Rock Starlets, with a colour for every mood.
2) Longlasting Revlon Colorstay Gel Envy in navy, is the must have colour for summer toes.
3) Tom Ford Nail Lacquer in Naked is as near to the perfect nude as you can get.
4) For a rich dash of cinnamon try Bobbi Brown Raw Sugar Shimmer Nail Polish.
5) For a fired-up tangerine, try Yves Saint Laurent La Laque Couture in Orange Fusion.