Tonight's the night: David Jones' Collection Launch. The runway is ready, the music is on cue, and the guests will soon arrive. In the lead up to the main event, we're here to share the hair and beauty how-to's of tonight's show, brought to you by the experts at Aveda and Napoleon Perdis.
It might not be quite cold enough for woolen coats and leather boots, but there’s nothing stopping you from trying out the best of the hair and beauty looks for AW17.
Your essential beauty accessory for this winter – to be seen on the runway at tonight's Collections Launch – is the smokey eye. But not all of this year’s sultry smokey eyes are created identically. This season’s beauty looks vary in their intensity, reflecting Australia’s changeable winter climate; from its icy cool mornings, to its warm sunny afternoons.
These looks will inspire you to choose your own intensity, to suit your mood and your own personal style. But be sure to use a mix of cool and warm hues, like charcoal and rust – this will make an ordinarily intense look a lot more wearable. Create the smokey effect with a cool tone, before fusing it outward with a warmer shade.
As for the base, skin this season is all about being fresh and toned. Using Napoleon's Light Switch Luminizer Palette will create a smoother, longer lasting freshness that puts the bounce back into dull winter skin.
Beauty insider secret: keep the focus on your smokey eyes by teaming the look with nude cheeks and lips that best suit your complexion.
Here, Napoleon Perdis take us through a step-by-step guide to achieving the Smoke it! look, so you can be runway ready for any occasion.
- Prep and tone the skin with Dragon Blood Extract Facial Cleanser and Toner Infusion.
- Dampen the skin with water, then massage Dragon Blood Extract Facial Cleanser all over face. Rinse clean.
- Tone and hydrate the skin by spritzing Dragon Blood Extract Toner Infusion all over the face.
- For an all day glow, prime the skin with Auto Pilot Bronzing Skin Primer.
BROWS & MASCARA
- Define the brows and hold them in place with Wand-Er Brow.
- Open the eyes and begin to build depth with Own It! Mascara Jet; apply a rich coat to the top lashes.
- Even the complexion with Personal Trainer Serum Foundation; blend over the skin with fingertips or a Pro Makeup Sponge.
- Conceal dark circles and blemishes with Hide It! Concealer; dab onto the skin using the in-built applicator then fuse and blend with a Pro Makeup Sponge.
CHEEKS & SKIN
- Illuminate and tone the skin with a shade of Tone It! Face + Body Reflective Contour to match your complexion; sweep over the top of the cheekbones, down the bridge of the nose, then onto the chin and Cupid’s bow.
- Add life to the face by sweeping a shade of Tone It! Face + Body Reflective Contour in a shade deeper than your complexion over the cheekbones.
- Stain the lips with Matte It! Lip Gloss Nude Addict; tap over the lips using your fingertips.
Look 1 : Frame it!
- Apply China Doll Gel Eyeliner Yin along the upper and lower lash lines and water lines, before blending and fusing the edges for a smokey finish. Then, extend at the outer corner of the eye to lift and elongate the eyes.
- Sweep a combo of Mark It! Eye Palette Expression Charcoal and Rust around the lash lines to fuse and blend the eyeliner further.
How To | Hair by Aveda
Terri Robertson-Kirkwood, Aveda’s Creative Director for David Jones, will tonight lead the Aveda Style Team in creating the hair look for David Jones’ Autumn Winter 2017 Collections Launch. The look, bold and sleek in its aesthetic, reflects the David Jones’ AW17 theme of living outside of the seasons.
“The hair reflects this theme and is all about breaking barriers and not being defined by trends, which we are seeing on both the international and couture runways,” Terri Robertson-Kirkwood said.
“The look embodies a bold, independent woman who is still fluid and beautiful. The texture is slick and shiny on the crown moving to a more natural loose texture and is a nod to the strong and impressive styles showcased on the runway this season”.
Here, Terri Robertson-Kirkwood takes us through a step-by-step guide to achieving the Autumn Winter look, so you can be runway ready for any occasion.
- Prep dampen hair using a coin-size amount of Aveda Color Conserve™ Daily Color Protect to ensure your hair is protected against environmental stressors. Run the product through mid-lengths and ends. Then create a defined middle part using a fine tooth comb.
- Spritz hair from root to ends with Aveda Volumizing Tonic, to help build body and add shine.
- Use a pea-size amount of Aveda Brilliant™ Retexturing Gel and apply to the part and crown of your head. This will create softness, hold and shine.
- Using a round brush, blow-dry hair in rough sections in a downwards motion.
PRO TIP: Choose a slow-speed with high heat to give more control.
Pay extra attention to grooming the hair without affecting the volume.
- At the hairline (in front of your ear), take out two small (1cm) sections and then tuck the rest of your hair behind your ears. Spray Aveda Air Control to set the top of the hair.
- Twist the two separated sections, then pull back and secure with elastic at the back of your head.
- Tilt your head back and puff Aveda Shampure™ Dry Shampoo into the back of the hair to enhance natural volume and texture.
- Finish with a slip of Aveda Damage Remedy™ Split End Repair on the very ends of your hair to add extra polish, binding any split ends back together for beautiful, touchable hair.