You can get that sun-kissed look without risking your skin. But, for best results, follow these steps.
- Exfoliate, exfoliate, and exfoliate. For the week before, target trouble spots like elbows, knees and ankles then moisturize to keep skin supple.
- Ensure you do all of your hair removal (waxing, shaving, etc) at least 24 hours prior to application, to avoid skin irritation.
- Before application, have a short shower, then dry off completely. Skip the moisturizer, deodorant and fragrance to avoid skin staining.
- Choose the right shade. If you are fair-skinned and want to go dark, do a couple of applications of a light-to-medium shade, at night, sectioning your body into areas: face, neck, shoulders, arms, torso, legs and back. Use surgical gloves or a mitt to avoid stained palms, then blow dry.
- The next morning, shower, pat skin dry and moisturise with a body cream free from any exfoliating agents like AHAs or BHAs
JONES Beauty Director Danielle Jackson’s top picks:
- Clarins' Radiance-Plus Golden Glow Booster. Just mix 3 drops with your body moisturiser for your very own customised fake tan! Shop now.
- Ella Bache’s Great Spray tan. With skin softening and moisturising ingredients it leaves the skin hydrated, streak-free and looking natural. Shop now.
- Loving Tan’s Deluxe Bronzing Mousse. Natural looking, sexy tan within minutes! Salon inspired, it gives you immediate colour while it develops into a deeper, darker tan. Shop now.
- St. Tropez’s Self Tan Express Advanced Bronzing. You choose how deep your tan is by choosing when you shower. For a light, sun kissed glow, leave for just one hour; leave on for up to three hours for a deep, dark bronze. Shop now.